Winter storm pummels Chapel Hill, roads dangerous

Snow fell in Chapel Hill on Wednesday afternoon. North Carolina declared a state of emergency in response to winter weather across the state.

UPDATE at 3:04 p.m.:

The Tar Heel Express Shuttles for tonight’s Duke game have been cancelled, according to press release from Chapel Hill Transit.

The shuttle service was cancelled due to the winter weather and hazardous road conditions.

UPDATE at 2:57 p.m.:

The Tar Heel Express shuttles will not operate from the Southern Village or Jones Ferry park and ride lots for the Duke men’s basketball game tonight at the Dean Dome.

Due to deteriorating road conditions, all Chapel Hill Transit bus routes are experiencing significant delays and buses may be taking detours, said Brian Litchfield, interim director for Chapel Hill Transit

Litchfield said transit staff are working to address issues and additional information will be released soon.

Orange County Emergency Services will open two emergency shelters if residents lose power during tonight’s winter storm.

The department will announce the opening of its shelters over its Twitter feed at http://bit.ly/1eQz9Qu.

The shelters will be located at C.W. Sanford Middle School in Hillsborough and Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill Police have closed Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard north of Hillsborough Street.

The hill is too slick for drivers, according to department spokesman Sgt. Josh Mecimore.

Chapel Hill police are only responding to serious car accidents across town.

Chapel Hill police would like residents involved in minor car accidents to exchange information and report the accident later. The department has received an influx of reports of minor traffic collisions due to the winter storm.

Residents can call the Chapel Hill Police Department tomorrow to report minor collisions.

The department is encouraging residents to stay indoors for the rest of the day.