Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapters halt pledging

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article misattributed a quote from Aaron Bachenheimer to Kenan Lee Drum. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

All chapters of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, including UNC’s, must eliminate the pledging process in accordance with a mandate the national organization gave to chapters during Spring Break.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of UNC’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said the change addresses several tragic incidents at houses and parties in recent years. An investigation by Bloomberg News found nine deaths related to SAE events in the United States since 2006, more than any other Greek organization in the study.

The fraternity’s Evanston, Ill.-based Supreme Council announced this month that after a student receives a bid from any of its chapters, the student must gain full member status within 96 hours.

Chapters will need to cancel their existing processes, in which pledges may take weeks to become full members, instead requiring new members only to complete an online safety training module and register on SAE’s web site before initiation, at which point all members are to have equal rights within the organization.

The organization’s announcement notes “bad publicity” stemming from tragedies at SAE events and “a painful number of chapter closings as a result of hazing.”

“The decision is being made in response,” Bachenheimer said, clarifying that UNC’s chapter has not been problematic, calling it a “really strong chapter.”

The policy change took effect March 9, the 158th anniversary of the fraternity’s founding, but schools on break were given more time to implement it, according to the organization’s website.

Brad Heshmaty, president of SAE’s UNC chapter, declined to comment on the change because the chapter has had little time to meet since the announcement. At press time, the fraternity’s web site still listed four students as spring 2014 “pledges.”

Interfraternity Council President Kenan Lee Drum said the IFC has been in touch with the national organization and will help UNC members contact those officials.

“We look forward to partnering with the North Carolina XI chapter, helping them connect with their national office,” Drum said.

Chapters will now work to implement the “True Gentleman Experience,” which the national organization says will help the chapters bond by eliminating a class structure in which pledges must prove they are worthy members of the fraternity.

Though SAE called the decision “historic,” other fraternities, including Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau, a group seeking official recognition at UNC, have already forgone the traditional pledging process, without the prior controversy that has surrounded SAE, Bachenheimer said.

Bachenheimer said he doesn’t expect other fraternities to immediately follow the organization’s move away from a new member-focused system, but that those that face similar negative publicity may do so in the future.

“I don’t think that just SAE making this decision tips the scales,” he said. “We might see other organizations with similar pressures make that decision.”

Drum said the decision shouldn’t affect students’ interest in the fraternity.

“IFC has posted record numbers last fall, and we expect that to continue,” he said.

Bachenheimer said that the nature of fraternity policy changes is that in a few years, members will have never experienced life in the chapter before the change.

“Three to four years down the road, this chapter won’t have known any different,” Bachenheimer said.