UNC graduates have resources from University

Mary Katherine Beam, a junior psychology major from Asheboro gets a new OneCard at the UNC One Card office on Monday afternoon.

Seniors graduating in May will soon find limited privileges on campus — but UNC still offers resources for their future.

Recent alumni’s Onyens are subject to termination within the first month after graduation. Not having a useable student identification number hinders one’s access to library materials, gym facilities, sporting events and University Career Services.

Jim Clinton, director of One Card Services, warned that any alumni who tries to use their OneCard for a major sporting event will encounter problems.

“Sporting events are based on enrollment,” Clinton said. “If we see a problem, we send people to a table by the gate called the adjudication table.”

Because PIDs are unable to log recent alumni into a library computer within one to three weeks of graduation, those alumni can buy a card for $25 or get one for free if they are a member of UNC’s General Alumni Association or Friends of the Library.

“We’re open to the public, so anyone can have access here,” said Glenn Hayslett, assistant head of circulation. “They just can’t access licensed stuff on the internet.”

Though privileges such as UNC games are limited, the recent alumni can still use University Career Services to access Careerolina and job listings for six months after graduation.

Ray Angle, director of UCS, said he encourages students to take advantage of the service as an undergraduate student before their records on Careerolina are deleted after six months.

“Don’t wait till last minute,” he said. “We can see when you log on, go to career fairs, job fairs — I can see when you’re serious.”

UNC-sponsored career fairs are not promoted to recent alumni due to employer’s interest in undergraduate students. So most recent alumni take advantage of resume workshops within the six-month grace period.

The General Alumni Association makes it easier for recent alumni to transition from UCS services with its own career services. The organization provides alumni with a career jumpstart package, which includes teleseminars, job postings, resume and cover letter writing assistance, career tips and career coaching.

“I’m trying to help you for a lifetime,” said Linda Conklin, the manager of Alumni Career Services for the GAA.

For an initial fee of $25 and a yearly renewal charge of $45, alumni can access the GAA’s Alumni Career Services among other resources.

Conklin said the career coaching, which is valued as a $150 service, was the most valuable because it specifically tailored to meet each alumnus’ needs.

Conklin negated the misconception that UNC alumni are automatically hired right out of college due to the University’s credibility. She stressed that recent alumni should learn how to market themselves if they plan to get a job right out of college.

“Getting a job out of UNC isn’t that easy. Just having UNC to back you without the marketing skills isn’t going to help you,” she said.

Conklin reiterated the need for networking skills.

“Most people don’t know the process—to know yourself, to articulate strength and to connect with people,” Conklin said.

“Alumni don’t understand that it’s not about them, but the employer.”