?Letter: Abortion display was in bad taste

All of my grandparents are recognized by the German government as Holocaust survivors.

I do not wish to discuss my personal opinion on abortion, but I was outraged as I saw the images by the Wilson Library steps comparing abortion to genocide.

As I walked past the display, all I could think about were the stories about my grandparents and my other family members.

In particular, an image of the Holocaust is displayed as part of the demonstration and is adorned with a Nazi symbol and a yellow Jude patch.

The Holocaust was a systematic killing based on the religion which also extended to the killing of political dissenters and other minority groups.

The definition of genocide in the Dictionary is “the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group” and “the policy of deliberately killing a nationality or ethnic group.”

Last time I checked, the government is currently not forcing women of any particular religions, cultures, or nationalities to have abortions.

Abortion simply does not fall under the category of genocide.

There are genocides that have occurred all over the world from Rwanda to Armenia and to Europe, and thereby comparing abortion to these catastrophes is not only insensitive, but almost feels like a mockery of these historical events.

I appreciate the value of free speech on UNC’s campus and the productive discussion that it fosters, but those who take advantage of this should be aware of how offensive their displays can be.

We can discuss if an abortion is moral or not, but this much is certain: abortion is not genocide.

Keren Tseytlin ‘15

Mathematical Decision Sciences

Economics