Artists at Chapel Hill bakeries use cakes as canvases

Bernadette Haubert is one of the pastry chefs at Sugarland. "This is the only thing I've ever wanted to do." She studied at the Culinary Institute of America in New York and came to Chapel Hill immediately after. Sugarland is in the midst of its busy season. "We'll have about 5-7 weddings per weekend (to bake for) until June." According to Haubert, December and January are the slowest months.

A true art form, teams of designers, bakers and marketing specialists collaborate on everything from classic cupcakes to elaborate wedding cakes of every flavor, shape and size imaginable.

“Cupcakes are a personal dessert, and everyone has their own definition of what it should be,” said Sugarland’s marketing coordinator Hannah Walker. “But people come in here and see more than an ordinary cupcake — it’s like a total revelation.”

Sugarland, which opened in February 2008, has tickled the taste buds of Chapel Hill and turned heads on the Food Network. Students and families, along with the hosts of “Good Morning America,” “The Today Show” and the Food Network’s “Kid in a Candy Store,” have all struggled to decide upon one of their 100 signature cupcakes.

This local business puts as much effort into their cakes as they do into their community. Actively engaged in charity work, Sugarland has partnered with animal shelters, The Red Cross and various student groups to support their causes.

“The reason I do it is because it’s a real privilege to be here — part of this community,” said Sugarland’s owner and executive chef Katrina Ryan.

Bernadette Haubert, a baker and decorator at Sugarland, believes that the cake business is unique.

“My favorite part is meeting people from all over and getting to be part of their lives,” she said. “From engagement cakes, to wedding cakes and their baby’s first birthday cake, we get to be part of it.”

Much newer to the area, Gigi’s Cupcakes opened in September 2013 and has more than enough sweets to share. Gigi’s delights customers with its signature 3-ounce tower of frosting atop each of their 200 different cupcakes.

Gigi’s is also actively involved in the community, donating their extra cupcakes to the Ronald McDonald House, The Chapel Hill Fire Department and Orange County Rape Crisis Center.

“We don’t ever keep anything overnight,” said assistant manager Morgan Richardson. “Depending on how much we have left, we will give the cupcakes to local businesses, the homeless shelter, or (the UNC) hospital.”

Richardson is a one-woman show most days behind the Gigi’s counter. Arriving at 5 a.m. to freshly bake and decorate the popular “Wedding Cake” or “Triple Chocolate Torte,” her day is sweet from start to finish.

Richardson also handles Gigi’s wedding orders — which come flooding in with the sunshine of spring. From taste testing with the bride and groom to carefully crafting their decorative sugar flowers, she wears many creative hats throughout the day.

Although Gigi’s and Sugarland are just a short walk apart, they each have found their own niche.

“We are primarily cupcakes,” Richardson said. “We eat, sleep and breathe them.”

Sugarland, on the other hand, prides itself in variety and tradition — with gelato, espresso and a full bar, alongside other tempting pastries.

“We’ve always tried to stay diverse,” Ryan said. “If there’s caffeine, sugar or alcohol in it, I’m in.”

Whether a wide-eyed 5-year-old with a face full of chocolate, or a UNC alumnus enjoying their long-time favorite, this town’s sweet tooth always keeps them coming back for more.

“Cupcakes help celebrate so many different things — they’re not just a fad,” Haubert said.