BREAKING: UNC's James Michael McAdoo declares for NBA draft

James Michael McAdoo declared that he will enter the 2014 NBA Draft.

North Carolina junior forward James Michael McAdoo has declared for the 2014 NBA Draft and will forego his senior season, according to an official school release.  

McAdoo's announcement comes more than a week after sophomore point guard Marcus Paige announced on Twitter that he would be returning for his junior season.

A Norfolk, Va., native, McAdoo scored 1,232 points and recorded 640 rebounds in 108 career games with UNC. This season, he finished second on the team behind Paige with 14.2 points per game. He averaged 6.8 rebounds per game, earning second-team All-ACC honors for the second straight year. 

“I am thankful to God for the opportunities I have had at Carolina," McAdoo said in a release. “I am thankful for everything I have been blessed to experience from my relationships with Coach Williams and his staff, to my current and former teammates and to the fact that I am so close to earning my degree from such a great school. Without a doubt I plan to come back and finish my degree. That is important to me.

“I just feel I am ready to play at the next level and excited about that challenge. I had chances to go after my freshman and sophomore years but was more excited about coming back to school then. Right now I am excited about fulfilling my dream to play in the NBA and do what I have to do to take that next step.”

Speculation has surrounded McAdoo the past two seasons in regard to his NBA future. Some projected him as a lottery pick after his freshman season with UNC.

“I am extremely happy for James Michael, but at the same time I am sad for me because I won’t get a chance to coach that youngster again,” coach Roy Williams said in a statement. 

“He’s a wonderful kid who has been a very dependable player and one of the top players in the ACC the past two seasons. Everyone connected to our program has enjoyed getting to know him. He’s been extremely important to North Carolina Basketball and Roy Williams. We support him 100 percent in his decision, wish him nothing but the best in his professional career and understand that it is truly important to him and his family that he complete his degree work.”