Letter: ?Abortion images were simply the truth

Regarding the recent protest by the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform: I am somewhat intrigued by some of the commentary as reported in The Daily Tar Heel. I believe we can draw certain implications based on the need to “avoid” those images and the need for “counselors.” We have been told for many years that the “product of conception” is little more than a parasite or some other foreign bodily invader much in the same way that cancer invades healthy cells. I wonder if some would feel the need to seek counseling or avoid images of a removed tumor or perhaps an appendix. Or would these same individuals argue against showing pictures of the piles of bodies at Auschwitz because they are “disturbing?” Rather, I feel that it is from motives of wanting to suppress the truth of what it is that anti-lifers support that this desire to obscure and avoid originates from. Remember, it was the Nazis who sought to hide the truth of what was occurring at their “work camps” because they knew that if the light was shone on their evil deeds that others would rightfully be outraged.

Truly those protesters were the “buzzkill brigade,” as labeled by The Daily Tar Heel Quickhits last week. Truth has a way of making those who desire lies and obfuscations just a little uncomfortable.

Steven Barron ’17

Computer Science