Letter: ?Do not let our rights be stripped away

I am writing this letter basically to light a fire, to wake up our young people. I am not the usual student, I am a returning non-traditional re-admit, a child of the 60’s and 70’s.  I just took part in the Phi Beta Kappa induction ceremonies and our speaker, a history professor, spoke to the newly inducted about our every changing world, tough economic times, challenging times and activism.  

As an older student who lived through the historic Civil Rights movements, the Women’s Liberation Movement and the Vietnam War protest, I can attest to the huge power of the populous. I have noticed a dulling of our activism, of the willingness to take a chance to stand up for the right thing.  I know that most graduating young people are concerned about finding a job in our tough competitive economy, but remember what is most important, your rights, equal rights and the idea of what our forefathers thought was to be what we called the United States. Remember that the rights you enjoy right now were all won not by politicians’ actions, but more so by the activism of everyday people who made huge sacrifices for us to have a more equal society. Remember their work is not done. Things are far from equal. There is a very active movement that is chipping away at your rights, your public education funding and the spread of truth through science. Unless you become active, vote, march, protest and make your voice heard, it will be slowly and methodically taken awayHere’s to education, to activism, to the ideals of equality and rights, and to your future as voices of the what is right.

Kathy Morgan

Chapel Hill