Letter: ?Make local bars safer spaces

Much has been said recently about the conflict between a group of UNC students and the management of Fitzgerald’s Irish Pub on Franklin Street regarding a patron’s request that the DJ stop playing the popular song “Blurred Lines.” 

Personally, I find the song derivative and distasteful and, yes, problematic in that it normalizes and celebrates a culture of pushing sex without clearly communicated consent — something I think we can agree is crucial in preventing sexual violence and encouraging healthy, fulfilling sexual relationships.

I know that many readers reject the idea that a song, especially one as popular as “Blurred Lines,” could perpetuate and enable rape or that we are responsible for the harm it inflicts on those who have survived sexual assaults. 

To those readers, I say, reject that responsibility if you choose, so long as you are comfortable continuing to effectively bring harm, whether you see it that way or not, to members of your community who work hard to prevent any harm from coming to you.

By defending this and similar songs or even simply by neglecting to be appropriately critical, you play an active role in allowing the violent behaviors it celebrates to continue unquestioned. 

Similarly, I urge the Carolina community to stand in solidarity with the movement to make local bars safer spaces. 

Bar manager Kyle Bartosiewicz’s behavior was disrespectful and unacceptable. 

I’ll be taking my beer money to Goodfellows, thank you very much.

Hillary Stroud ’15

American studies