Letter: ?Music does not incite action

“Maybe I’m going deaf, maybe I’m going blind, maybe I’m out of my mind,” but the ban of “Blurred Lines” from Fitzgerald’s is ridiculous. Yes, rape culture is real. Music, however, doesn’t influence it. The one in four women statistic is actually more problematic, but I trust my fellow Tar Heels can do their own research. To the young woman who requested that the DJ change from Robin Thicke’s hit, I would like to see proof that links the (over)playing of his song to increased incidents of rape. 

If she were really down for the cause, as soon as the song hit number one and was heard all across America she would have approached each establishment in Chapel Hill requesting them to never play the song. More importantly, if you choose to misinterpret a song’s admittedly sexual message, then stay home. The whole world doesn’t have to bend to your whims because you would rather write a think piece than enjoy a good song. I, as an African-American, find it odd when YG’s “My Nigga” is in a mixed crowd but I have yet to make a scene at a bar about it because I know the world doesn’t revolve around me. 

In the end, what will we listen to when we are out on the weekend if everything that at least one person finds offensive is banned? Sorry, but I can’t turn up to “Kumbaya.”

Chris Gamble ‘14

Psychology