Music Review: TURCHI

Reed Turchi describes Can’t Bury Your Past as a “kudzu boogie,” so he delivers by producing infectiously groovy Mississippi blues.

Jumping in to Turchi is akin to ordering a pint at local bar deep in the Appalachia. It sounds like it’s made to be played in a dimly lit dancehall, and its guitar grooves and bass boogies make swinging along to the beat inevitable.

Opening with “Take Me Back Home,” Turchi provides a pretty nice preview to the rest of the album, incorporating fuzzed out guitar riffs and funky organ progressions with a bit of Turchi’s characteristic growls. As the record pulls you further into the rawness that is Turchi, there’s a little more horn and sax spunk.

“Sawzall” sounds like the jam that plays right as the bar brawl breaks out, the tension in Turchi’s voice and the slide guitar is so thick you can feel it. 

There’s serious grit in tracks like “450 Miles,” then softer and more reflective narratives in tracks like “Brothers Blood.” “Bring on the Fire, Bring on the Rain” seems to split right down the middle, opening with an intense fuzzy guitar jam, then taking a pretty radical turn towards a sweet acoustic melody.

With Reed Turchi, it’s all about the gritty Mississippi blues, and Can’t Bury Your Past is everything Turchi promises.