Opinion: Higher education should be spread down the line

T wo years ago, Carrboro High School senior Lee Mook began the Language for Youth program, in which CHS students volunteer their time to teach language classes at Culbreth Middle School.

The program offers early-morning instruction in Chinese, Japanese and German — languages not offered at the middle school level — in order to give middle school students the opportunity to begin learning the basics of these commonly used languages early on.

Language for Youth volunteers see a bright future ahead, but education can always see growth. One way to help keep the program active would be to engage UNC students as student-teachers, not just in teaching languages but also in other important subjects such as psychology and economics that are traditionally not offered at the middle school level.

It is often said that the best way to learn a subject is by teaching it to others, and Language for Youth volunteers can attest to this fact. Some of the most popular majors at UNC include subjects such as journalism and mass communication and political science — areas in which middle school students do not receive much exposure.

Therefore, allowing University students the opportunity to become teachers will not only expose children to a wider variety of subjects, but also help the teachers grow more comfortable and knowledgeable in their field of interest.

The program could also provide UNC students with experience in leadership and help them get a better feel for the education system in North Carolina — one many of them may soon be working in.

Feeding off the success of the Language for Youth program in both students and teachers, the UNC system and high schools across the state should be encouraged to participate in the effort.