Opinion: New cell coverage system is ideal partnership

I f the construction of the Distributed Antenna System goes according to plan, the only coverage Tar Heel cellphone users will need to worry about will be that of opposing team defenses.

The construction of this project is underway in Kenan Stadium and set to be duplicated in the Smith Center thereafter, as part of a larger campuswide initiative. This will improve cell capacity and coverage in these stadiums, allowing greater access when large crowds are present — a win for Tar Heel fans who have dealt with the virtually nonexistent cellphone service that has plagued the stadiums in past seasons .

The addition of more than 100 antennas will not only bring improved cell capacity, but they will bring added safety to campus on game days — both in terms of increasing UNC Public Safety communication capabilities and giving lost fans the means to make that much needed phone call .

Furthermore, the Kenan Stadium DAS enhancement project is slated to be completed before coach Larry Fedora and the football team hit the field for their first home game this fall, and project officials assure us construction activities will not conflict with graduation nor any other scheduled events at the stadium during the construction period .

UNC Information Technology Services should be commended for creating a partnership with several carriers, that improves the lives of students while not beholding the University to any specific carrier.

This project allows any carrier to improve its service by becoming a licensee. This improves service , and ensures University employees and students can still freely choose their carrier.

With AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile footing the bill, there seems to be little downside to the project other than the fact that it did not come earlier.