Opinion: North Carolina should document new drug’s use

A ttorney General Eric Holder has recently urged states and counties across the country to begin equipping their first responders with a new drug called naloxone, which can save the life of someone who is overdosing from an opiate, such as heroin or painkillers .

Orange Country and North Carolina have beaten Holder to the chase, having already issued the drug to many of its first responders as well as making the drug available at other sources, including through a doctor’s prescription .

Despite a wealth of evidence that supports this drug’s use, many states and counties are not following suit and are wary to begin using it.

In order to combat this notion and ensure that lives are saved, North Carolina’s doctors, first responders and public health officials should closely study and document the use of naloxone in all forms and make this information easily accessible to policy makers at all levels across the country.

One argument against the use of the drug is that it would essentially provide a “safety net” for drug users. Addicts would be able to abuse drugs without the fear of dying from an overdose. This would then encourage the use of these drugs .

However, research shows that the use of naloxone does not encourage more risky drug-related behavior. Studies of pilot programs also show that after administering the drug, there is often no need for further medical assistance — whether it be through hospitalization or medication .

This research has obviously not been enough to convince the entire country of this drug’s life saving capabilities. It is important that our state’s medical professionals recognize its usefulness and help others across the country come to the same conclusion.