Roy Smith sets two personal records at ACC championships

Racing three events in one weekend is no easy feat.

Racing three events and setting two personal records is even more difficult.

But senior sprinter and hurdler Roy Smith did just that this weekend at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships at the Belk Track in Chapel Hill.

"Roy Smith is a warrior," coach Harlis Meaders said. "If you ever get a chance to read some of the back stories on him and some of the things he's overcome in his life, you'll see he's a phenomenal guy."

Smith competed in the 400-meter hurdles and the 110-meter hurdles, as well as on the 4x100-meter relay team. 

"To do that demanding of a weekend and set PR's, it's really, really impressive," said sophomore sprinter and hurdler R.J. Alowonle. "It's something that I don't know people really understand."

Smith first ran on the 4x100-meter relay team, which placed seventh. Less than 40 minutes later, he broke 14 seconds for the first time in the 110-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line at 13.98 seconds in third place. 

And 80 minutes later, he followed it up with a fourth place finish in the 400-meter hurdles and set a personal record of 51.90 seconds.

It was the first time Smith cracked 52 seconds in the event and the fastest he had raced in the event since his freshman year.

"I felt tired, you know, but my team needed my help, so I gave it my all and PR'ed again," Smith said.

Four athletes competed in the 400-meter hurdles, an event that added 24 points to the UNC men's team score and boosted them to be in a competitive position with Florida State, the eventual meet winner.

"We're trying to make this 400-meter hurdle U," said assistant coach Steve Rubin.

"Sure, R.J. (Alowonle) and Javonte (Lipsey) are stellar, and they're both gonna be top-10 guys ... but I'm equally proud of what the other guys did because they put in just as much heart," Rubin said about Smith and senior Devon Carter. "They're the reason we were in the position to win (the meet)."

In total, Smith contributed 13 points to the men's second place 110 team points. 

"He would've run on (the 4x400-meter relay) if we had asked him to," Meaders said. "He's just that kind of kid."

Smith's third place 110-meter hurdle performance earned him All-ACC honors, but he said he was more satisfied with his 400-meter hurdle performance.

"In (the 110-meter hurdles), I wasn't technically sound with how I finished, so that's how I ended up getting third instead of winning," he said.

Smith qualified for the NCAA regional meet in both the 400-meter hurdles and 110-meter hurdles and said he hopes to compete in both events in Florida.

Meaders said the team is looking to place in the top-10 at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in June.

"Roy is a team leader, he's a role player, and we wouldn't be as good as we are without him."