Students spot mice in Rams Head Dining Hall

This past week, field mice were spotted in Rams Head Dining Hall, causing an outcry on Facebook that began with a picture on the Overheard at UNC page.

Students took to social media to voice their concerns about the mice, but Carolina Dining Services spokesman Brandon Thomas said CDS has only received three complaints via phone — two from students and one from a parent.

In response to a few mice sightings, Thomas said CDS has increased the frequency of pest control during the past week. He labeled them as field mice.

“We regularly work with two pest control companies, and we’ve stepped up that work. The whole building has been inspected. We’re doing a lot of extra monitoring,” Thomas said.

Thomas said the recent cold weather in the area, along with the open space surrounding Rams Plaza, may be factors in the field mice’s movement into the dining hall.

He said mice have not been found in the kitchen areas of the dining hall.

“This has strictly been isolated to a few areas in the dining area. As far as the kitchen there has been no indication of mice getting in,” Thomas said.

Thomas said there has not been a negative impact on meal plans this semester and said he does not think there will be in the future.

“There wasn’t any type of mass exodus to cancel meal plans. There hasn’t really been any impact at all,” Thomas said.

Though Thomas does not think meal plans will be impacted, freshman Seth Bollenbecker is thinking about minimizing his meal plan.

“Yeah, definitely. I’ve already reduced the number from last semester and I’m thinking of reducing it more or getting rid of it all together and eating at other establishments,” Bollenbecker said.

He was one of the students who voiced concerns on the Facebook page by posting a picture of mousetraps.

“Well, they kind of took me by surprise because they were right next to a station where you could get food. And it was during dinner — around 6:00 — when a lot of people were eating there,” Bollenbecker said.

Freshman Andy Ngo said since this was an isolated incident with no sufficient evidence in regard to cleanliness, he is not bothered.

“I don’t care,” Ngo said. “I would rather go eat food than worry about mice that probably won’t bother me.”