But, after a much-needed series win against Boston College , those problems might now be in the rearview mirror.

“It was nice to see,” coach Mike Fox said while waiting for the team’s flight back home on Sunday. “We scored, I think, 28 runs in three days. It’s a big confidence booster for our guys.”

The Tar Heel bats came alive against Eagle arms this weekend, scoring seven runs during Friday’s 7-0 win, nine during the one-run loss Saturday and 12 runs to clinch the series victory Sunday when Boston College managed just two.

“This weekend was definitely a break-out for the bats,” said Trent Thornton , who threw his first career complete game shutout Friday night . “We had a lot of guys do really productive stuff this weekend.”

Skye Bolt and Landon Lassiter were two of those players, and they showed the potential UNC’s offense has when everyone is clicking. The two sophomores combined to go 8-21 with seven runs, five RBIs, and seven walks.

“They’re both huge for our offense, and they both had great weekends” said junior shortstop Michael Russell . “And then even when they were getting out, they were consistently hitting the ball hard.

“It’s going to be huge for our team if they can keep up their play like I know they are capable of playing.”

With Bolt and Lassiter adding a spark to the lineup, there’s much less pressure on the Tar Heel pitching staff. During Thornton’s nine-inning shutout Friday night, he wasn’t on his A-game. But his team backed him up.

“Honestly, that was probably the most miserable game I’ve ever been a part of,” Thornton said. “I mean it was in the 30s, the wind was blowing pretty hard ... I actually didn’t have my best stuff that day.

“But you know I got things done, and the team put up some runs ... I don’t think we made a single error that game. Our defense was awesome.”

Russell and Thornton raved about the defensive play that UNC showcased on Boston College’s Commander Shea Field — an environment infamous for the challenges it poses to anyone with a glove.

“The field conditions aren’t the best, and we were still able to play really good defense,” Russell said. “That was a big sign for us.”

The trip to Boston College could easily be a turning point for the Tar Heels, who are on the verge of getting above .500 in the ACC .

“I’ve been saying all year, it’s only a matter of time before they both break out,” Russell said.

He was referring to Lassiter and Bolt, but the statement could also be applied to UNC’s hitting and fielding.

In both cases, they seem to be breaking out.