UNC safety Sam Smiley makes awaited return

UNC Spring game
UNC Spring game

That’s because 518 days ago was the last time the speedy safety was on the turf at Kenan Stadium preying upon wide receivers.

That’s because 248 days ago trainers notified Smiley he could no longer fight through a left foot injury that he sustained a season before. They said he had to get surgery that required him to watch the entire 2013 season.

But all along, linebacker Travis Hughes was the one watching.

“I remember Sam would be at home and he’s massaging his foot, making sure he’s getting it right and everything,” Hughes said of his roommate. “Sam is taking care of his body nonstop. And this spring, he was just trying to show the coaches he was ready.”

On Saturday, in UNC’s annual spring game, maybe some of that self-therapy paid off.

Smiley returned to the field with a pep in his step, starting at safety for the reserve White Team in its 38-17 loss to the first-team Blue squad.

“It felt good,” Smiley said, downplaying his long-awaited return.

Then all of it suddenly set in.

“It felt good,” he repeated with a big grin.

Smiley admitted it was a little weird to play on the less-glamorous White Team that consists of backups. And it was understable because he’s been there, done that.

In 2012, he started five games out of the seven he played before the pain of the foot he first injured Sept. 15, 2012 vs. Louisville was too hard to play through.

But Smiley understood why he was listed on the White’s roster. All he wanted to do was make the most of his time. And he did, leading all defensive players with 11 tackles, two pass-breakups and one sack.

“He does not want to sit out anymore,” Hughes said. “He wants to compete. That’s what I love about Sam. He wants to compete on every play.”

If Smiley lost a step while battling the injury, it didn’t show Saturday or all spring according to Hughes, who referred to the safety as the defense’s “quick twitch”.

Coach Larry Fedora also noticed Smiley’s quickness.

“I think Sam’s come on pretty good,” Fedora said. “As soon as he keeps more comfortable with each and every call and all the adjustments to make, I think he’s going to definitely make an impact on defense.”

On a young defense, Smiley knows he’ll be doing some mentoring — something new for the safety, who last played as a sophomore.

More than 500 days removed from that game Nov. 10, 2012, does Smiley think people have forgotten him?

“I think so,” he said before the question was fully asked. “Just coming along, it’s been long. But now I’m here.”

Come the fall, maybe people will remember the player he once was — the Sam Smiley he knows he still can be.