Opinion: UNC’s new website must be regularly maintained

A s the University recovers from its academic scandal, it should continue to work on internal academic reform, but repairing its tarnished public image is an equally important task.

The recent creation of the website located at CarolinaCommitment.unc.edu, designed to keep the public informed on the scandal and actions taken to address it, is a step in the right direction. Further, it is important that the website receives the constant attention it deserves.

A large factor in the success and legitimacy of a website is the regularity of its upkeep and updates.

Often, websites are created in a spur of the moment move and updated regularly in their infancy, only to fall by the wayside as time passes and passion wains.

While there will eventually be a time when this website is no longer necessary, that time is years away, and the chancellor must remain committed to its use in the meantime.

The site includes “access to up-to-date information and news, comprehensive reports and past reviews, ongoing work and new initiatives and reforms already in place .”

The quality of the website has set a high bar for transparency and timely information, and students must hold the administration accountable for its consistent upkeep.

While reform is intrinsically valuable for the students that are already enrolled in the school, reparation of the University’s image has more widespread ramifications that affect both alumni and prospective students.

This website is a valuable tool for public relations and maintaining transparency. It should remain a priority of the administration until the school finds itself on stable footing once again.