W. Kamau Bell pays a visit to DSI theater

Courtesy of Pam Loshak.

Courtesy of Pam Loshak.

Now, as a Bay-area political comedian with an FXX comedy series, ‘Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell,’ multiple comedy albums and chart-topping critical acclaim under his belt, Bell is living his dream by traveling the country as part of his “Oh, Everything” stand-up tour.

Bell’s tour will bring him to Carrboro’s Dirty South Comedy Theater tonight, a venue he said he is excited to visit.

“This is my first major comedy tour that I’ve done in my career,” Bell said. “I’ve never performed in North Carolina, and I’ve heard a lot of good things, so I was excited to go there.”

Zach Ward, owner and executive producer of DSI, said the feeling is mutual.

“I think that (Bell) — if you’ve seen any of his shows or interviews — one of the things that he brings to the tables is that one, he’s very funny and, two, he’s very smart,” Ward said.

“From my point of view as a producer of comedy theater in a college town like Chapel Hill, this is entertainment that is going to make people laugh and people think. It’s a win-win on all levels.”

“Oh, Everything” will feature the typical comedy fare that Bell’s fans have come to know, including topics such as racism, sexism, same-sex marriage and transgender rights. Bell said his comedy style relies on actively promoting awkward conversations.

The name of the show comes from a saying that Bell and his friends frequently use when frustrated with the news.

“When I was working on the show ‘Totally Biased,’ (the writers and I) would remark at how the same players in the news were offending us over and over again, so anytime there was a story about George Zimmerman we’d go, ‘Oh, George Zimmerman,’” Bell said.

“It’s a way to express frustration when you don’t know exactly what the problem is.”

As soon as DSI’s associate artistic director Ashley Melzer recognized the performer, she knew the chance to see Bell was one that Triangle-area residents shouldn’t pass up.

“I spent a lot of times in the weeks leading up to this trying to get the word out about Kamau because in addition to being a comedian, he’s also an ambassador to the American Civil Liberties Union,” Melzer said.

Melzer also said the combination of Bell’s comedic talents and his passion for social justice will make for a valuable experience in more than one sense.

“His comedy offers an opportunity not only to have belly-busting laughter, but also think about some issues that you wouldn’t necessarily think about in your everyday life — have conversations that are provocative but ultimately get us to a better place,” she said.

While Bell said he realizes the heavy content of his subject material, he urges the skeptics to keep an open mind.

“I think that people who aren’t familiar with me may hear this and think, ‘Oh, social justice and racism and marriage equality,’” Bell said.

“I’m going for the same big gut laughs as every comedian, and I get quite a few of them. So I think if people are just curious, come on out and we’ll have a good time.”