Letter: Editorial contained misconceptions

The recent Student Government decision to grant the Campus Y funds to contract with a for-profit student group, Buzz Rides, has sparked discussion and raised concerns among some students regarding the use of student fees.

I’m writing to clear some misconceptions around what should be a vibrant conversation on the best way to provide crucial services to UNC’s student body.

First, the funds were not given directly to Buzz Rides. The Campus Y will contract with Buzz Rides to obtain its services for the student body. The Campus Y, which is working on a legal contract with Buzz Rides, will provide oversight and satisfy the student code’s requirements.

Second, the Campus Y’s contract with Buzz Rides is necessary for the enterprise to continue providing free rides to students.

Buzz Rides helps thousands of students get home safely at night. This funding decision is consistent with the Student Safety and Security Committee’s mandate to promote student safety.

Finally, the recent DTH editorial framed the decision as a result of a contest between Safe Walk and Buzz Rides. Actually, the student government is committed to ensuring that both programs continue to serve students. The committee’s funding decision was based on its funding process, which operates on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Devising innovative solutions to UNC’s most pressing problems is something we, as a student body, should support. The conversation about how best to do so is an important one. Student government is ready to engage with the student body to further this conversation.

Tyler Jacon

2013-14 Chairman

Student Safety and Security Committee