UNC baseball executes with runners on base against Maryland

UNC sophomore Zach Daly (16) at bat. UNC defeated Maryland 13-7 in Greensboro Saturday at the ACC tournament.

What a difference a day makes.

Friday night the North Carolina baseball team was given multiple opportunities to score and couldn't get the hits they needed against the Virginia Cavaliers, losing 3-2.

Less than 24 hours later, the Tar Heels couldn't stop scoring, putting up 13 runs in their final ACC game against the Maryland Terrapins in a 13-7 win at NewBridge Bank Park.

"We talk about not letting anything break our spirit," coach Mike Fox said. "You just gotta keep playin' and you got a core group of guys that want to win and keep playing and that's part of it."

Against the Cavaliers the Tar Heels went 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position. Center fielder Skye Bolt made sure that streak wouldn't continue against Maryland.

With two outs in the bottom of the first, third baseman Landon Lassiter doubled to keep the inning alive.

Bolt calmly stepped to the batter's box. He was patient, laying off the first two pitches. On the third pitch Bolt shot the ball into center field for a double that would bring Lassiter home.

"I think from inning one you get two doubles with two outs and you set the tone for the rest of the guys," Bolt said. "It's just confidence. It's contagious."

Bolt's confidence certainly seemed to be contagious Saturday. The Tar Heels would end up batting 8-for-15 with runners in scoring position, a far cry from Friday's disappointing performance.

"It was a big win for us," Fox said. "A lot of guys contributed throughout the lineup, which was good to see."

Six different Tar Heels would get a hit with runners in scoring position.

"I think it's the resilience of our team," first baseman Parks Jordan said. "Coming back to the ballpark the next day and telling yourself it's not going to happen again."

That resilience was most embodied by designated hitter Michael Russell, who was taken out of Wednesday's game against Florida State and missed Friday's game due to a back injury.

Russell gave UNC three gritty at-bats, still clearly hobbled by his injury.

"He wanted to give it a shot but we knew he was obviously very limited," Fox said. "But he did some good things there for us those first couple of at-bats. Pretty gutsy on his part."

With one out in the second inning, Russell hit a clutch single with the bases loaded to bring in Jordan and shortstop Alex Raburn.

The Tar Heels will now wait until Monday, when the NCAA announces which teams qualify for the championship tournament.

"It is what it is," Bolt said. "You take your wins, you take your losses, and we're coming off a great ballgame." 

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.