Rec Room aims to be place for soccer fans

Rec Room, the bar located at 108 Henderson St., reopened Thursday, June 12 after changing ownership.

Giles and Ama McLeod acquired the bar from previous owner Mike Freas, who sold it to be closer to his young son.

McLeod said he and his wife decided to buy Rec Room after running into a group of Chapel Hill students who recognized his voice from the radio. McLeod worked for the BBC as a European Soccer Analyst in England. 

“We thought of opening a bar and having a place where soccer fans could come and talk about soccer. American soccer fans are very passionate, you know, when they get into a sport they get into it,” McLeod said.

The new owners have added a projector for screenings of soccer and other sporting events, and have extended the hours by opening it during the daytime for lunch.

Honeysuckle Tea House brews first pot

The newest addition to the Pickards Mountain Eco-Institute is Honeysuckle Tea House, an organic beverage shop at 8871 Pickards Meadow Road. 

Tim Toben, owner of the institute, said he and his wife decided to open the tea house share their knowledge about plant medicine work with the rest of the community.

He wasn’t sure if many people would make the trip out to the farm, which is almost seven miles from Carrboro. He said he was surprised with the support from the community during the tea house’s first month in business.

“We’ve used only local money and the people we know to put it together so it’s really been a community investment,” Toben said. “The response has been really great, we’ve had a lot more people here than we expected to.”

Historical Carolina Inn wins at weddings

The Carolina Inn recently received the 2014 WeddingWire Couples’ Choice Award. 

The wedding planning website gives out annual awards for locations and services based on reviews and surveys from users on their site. 

Armes said he was pleased with what the award said about the Carolina Inn. 

“It reaffirms the Carolina Inn’s status as the premiere wedding venue across Chapel Hill, the Triangle and North Carolina,” Armes said. 

According to its website, the Carolina Inn started hosting weddings in 1924 and now accommodates more than 125 weddings annually in four separate event spaces. 

“For almost 100 years it’s been the quintessential wedding spot that brides and families have enjoyed,” Armes said.