Changes to incentives worry NC ?lmmakers

It’s diverse, with both the coast and the mountains bordering it — but talks in the state legislature of cutting the 25 percent tax rebate on film projects are leaving Sands in limbo.

“I need to go where the jobs are, and there might not be any options here,” she said.

Sands is among a group of UNC student filmmakers who once thought of spending their postgraduate years filming in North Carolina, but are now reassessing their options.

The plans proposed

Both the proposed state Senate and House budgets recommend changing the film incentives, with both suggesting the state turn the current 25 percent film tax credit into a grant program – leaving productions with no guarantee of receiving any money.

A feature-length film would have to spend at least $10 million in qualifying expenses to qualify for the grant, under the Senate’s plan.

The discussions come as the expiration on the current film incentives approaches on Jan. 1. The current incentives give productions a 25 percent refundable tax credit on expenses when they spend a minimum of $250,000.

The N.C. Film Office reported in 2013 film crews spent more than $244 million in N.C. and employed over 13,000 full-time workers. Productions like Showtime’s “Homeland,” ” Iron Man 3 " and “The Hunger Games” have been filmed here.

In April, Director of the N.C. Film Office Aaron Syrett said the current incentives made North Carolina one of the top three states in the industry, behind New York and California.

“(The film incentives) saved thousands of jobs, and it can create many more,” he said. “If the incentives are not reinstated, you will see this industry leaving North Carolina — it’s that simple.”

Looking for alternatives

Sands, a communication studies major from Cary, wanted nothing more than to move to Wilmington after graduation — it would be easier on her and her family.

But now, she’s starting to look at places like New York, California and Georgia, which have better film incentive plans.

“As a production student, I need to go where the jobs are going to be,” Sands said.

Senior communication studies and studio art major Andrew Allen expressed similar concerns. He may not have been as set on North Carolina as Sands, but he still considered it as a top choice.

“Since I know North Carolina currently has a good number of big productions happening, I have considered pursuing a job here after I’ve graduated,” Allen said.

“But with the likelihood of this change of incentives ... I’m pretty much going to be looking for work in other states.”

Budgetary constraints or not, students aren’t pleased with the cutting of the incentives — their job opportunities are at stake.

“I don’t know why they would be changing this,” Sands said. “It works.”

Contact the desk editor at  arts@dailytarheel.com.