Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

All up in your business for July 10

Chapel Hill Creamery has been at the Carrboro Farmer's Market for 12 years.

Carolina Inn awarded for front porch

The Carolina Inn was featured on Fodor's travel guide as one of the top 10 best hotel front porches in the United States. 

Carolina Inn was requested and admitted into the entry by Fodor's Travel reporter, and was chosen as one of the top entries. It was ranked No. 4 out of 10. 

Martin Armes, the Carolina Inn's media representative, said the inn has been a cornerstone of Chapel Hill for many years. 

"The Carolina Inn has always held importance in Chapel Hill, serving as an intersection of the UNC Campus and the community," Armes said. 

"The front porch also has great historical significance. U.S. presidents have visited the Inn through the years." 

The front porch at the Carolina Inn has been recognized for its aesthetic beauty and social gatherings in other publications such as the Southern Living and the Our State: Down Home in North Carolina. 

"This is a very beneficial recognition that will bolster the historic hotel's brand recognition and help elevate the profile of the Inn." Armes said. 

Tomato Day celebrates local produce

Carrboro Farmers' Market will host its annual Tomato Day on Saturday, July 12th, starting at 8:30 a.m. and running to 12:30 p.m. 

Margaret Krome-Lukens, assistant manager of Carrboro Farmers' Market, said the event is for the whole community to enjoy and have a good time and has been going on for more than seven years. 

She said nearly 5,000 people attended the event last year. 

Tomato Day is an event for all ages, where participants get the chance to observe, taste and buy 95 different varieties of tomatoes provided by more than 30 local producers. 

Krome-Lukens said the Tomato Day is a unique event for the community to get together and enjoy the many types of locally-grown tomatoes.

Types of tomatoes available include Sungold, Roma, and Green Zebra.

Krome-Lukens said the event was created to celebrate the wide variety of tomatoes grown in the area. 

"The event will have live music, face painting, raffles prizes and tomato recipes." Krome-Lukens said.  

Relay Foods delivers fresh groceries

Relay Foods, an online grocery based in Charlottesville, Va., recently expanded to Chapel Hill. 

Relay Foods was founded to provide an alternative to grocery shopping. Its founders sought a simpler and easier method for customers to access healthy foods from local producers at convenient locations. 

Graham Evans, vice president of New Markets, said Relay Foods decided to expand into Chapel Hill because of the thriving population and untapped market. 

"Relay decided to open operations in Chapel Hill because we know that the Triangle is a vibrant, growing area with well-educated, health-conscious shoppers who value the opportunity to simplify their shopping," said Evans. 

Relay Foods is opening its third pickup location in Chapel Hill, where customers can pick up products from local producers that they researched and ordered through the website.

"This is Relay's second week open in Chapel Hill. So far, we're pleased with sales, which are growing," said Evans.