Chapel Hill Transit looks to replace older buses

The UNC Transit system allows students and faculty to move quickly around campus.

Of the 99 buses in Chapel Hill Transit, 43 of them are older than 12 years, the age at which they are eligible to be replaced, transit director Brian Litchfield said.

These older buses can be expensive, not only because of the cost to replace one, but also because of the cost to preserve them.

“We look at it from a cost per mile basis, and we know that once a bus gets more than 12 years of age, it’s usually much more expensive to maintain than a bus that’s under 12 years of age,” Litchfield said.

In the past, the town has relied on federal and state funding to help with the purchase of new buses, according to a memorandum sent by Town Manager Roger Stancil and Business Management Director Ken Pennoyer.

“Usually the Federal Transit Administration helps to cover up to 80 percent of the cost of a bus, which is significant considering that a bus can go anywhere from $450,000 to just under $600,000,” Litchfield said.

Despite the fact that Stancil and Pennoyer expect the amount of federal funds to increase from last year, they are still concerned that federal funding is at a historically low rate.

“It was much easier in the past to replace buses with federal funds than what it is today,” Litchfield said.

The Chapel Hill Town Council has already started working to supplement the expected lack of federal funds. In their most recent budget, the council set aside $400,000 for Chapel Hill Transit to begin financing new buses.

“I think the days of major resources coming from state and federal sources is gone,” councilman Lee Storrow said. “Unfortunately, in the past, we haven’t allocated enough local funds to maintain the bus system — which is one of the reasons why, in the next three to five years, we’re going to have a number of buses ending their useful life.”

The town of Chapel Hill is working with its transit partners, the town of Carrboro and the University, to come up with a solution to fund new buses, he said.

And Storrow said it is a priority to find a way to pay for new buses without having to charge bus fare.

“No one is considering adjusting the system to not be fare-free,” he said. “I absolutely would not support that move, nor do I know of anyone who’s proposing it.”

Contact the desk editor at  city@dailytarheel.com.