Quick Hits for July 10, 2014

Jerry got Harding

Sexually explicit letters from President Warren G. Harding to his mistress, Carrie Phillips, will be released to the public July 29. The New York Times got an early look and reported some of the details, such as the fact that Harding nicknamed his penis “Jerry.” Harding may have been an ineffectual president, but at least Jerry was hard at work.

Ugand do that!

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

The Ugandan government said Monday the country’s anti-gay law, which makes it so Ugandans can be punished with life in prison for being gay, has been “misinterpreted.” It’s really all just a big misunderstanding! A word of advice to Uganda: When it comes to human rights violations, excuses straight out of sitcoms won’t cut it.

Finally #FreeofPJ

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Former UNC guard and newly-drafted Charlotte Hornets rookie P.J. Hairston was accused of assault by high school senior and basketball prospect Kentrell Barkley after a scuffle between the two during a pickup game at a Durham YMCA on Sunday. Why does this get a thumbs up? He’s not our problem anymore!

Dookies beliebe

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Jay Williams, an ESPN college basketball analyst and former player for Duke, tweeted a photo of himself with Justin Bieber Monday with a caption saying that Bieber is “changing lives.”  It’s almost too easy to make fun of this. Duke, Bieber and an unbelievably facile view of the world all together? Hate, hate, hate, hate.