Quick Hits for July 24, 2014

Poet in motion

Newly named North Carolina poet laureate Valerie Macon resigned last Thursday after an uproar from the N.C. literary community over her limited qualifications for the job. Gov. Pat McCrory was incensed and responded to the controversy with a haiku: English lit majors / Can go straight to hell, don’t you / Have coffee to sell?

Fool’s gold digger

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Kanye West has reached a new level of delusion. In an interview with GQ, he compared celebrities’ treatment to that of black Americans in the ‘60s. Oh Kanye, it must be so hard having your ideas for leather jogging pants rejected by fashion companies. Totally the same thing as the violent suppression of human rights for millions.

Revenge of the nerds

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

ESPN2 aired a preview this weekend for the finals of a video game tournament called “The International,” in which some elite gamers compete at Dota 2 to win $10 million. Gaming isn’t any less of a sport than poker, so this is cool, but it’s going to start feeling meta when ESPN broadcasts NBA 2K competitions.

Selfieshness

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Twitter user Breanna Mitchell  decided her trip to the Auschwitz concentration camp presented a great time to take a smiling selfie and post it on Twitter with a cute emoji. Then the internet exploded in mock outrage at this teenaged girl. Then media organizations started writing articles about it. 2014 is pretty depressing, isn’t it?