Letter: Students should adopt 'Meatless Mondays'

Starting college can be an exciting, yet daunting experience. It’s not surprising that, with all the stress that comes with it, many new students gain the dreaded “freshman 15.”

In an effort to help students look and feel great, the movement toward offering more plant-based meals is taking root on college campuses nationwide.

Why take a weekly holiday from meat? In recent decades our meat consumption has increased dramatically — and along with it, our waistlines, blood pressure and cholesterol. Meat is high in saturated fat, which is associated with obesity and preventable chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, some cancers and stroke.

Eating more healthy plant-based meals not only helps our physical health, but can also lighten our carbon footprint.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, animal agriculture is “one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.”

Thankfully, it’s never been easier to take a positive step toward safeguarding our health, while also protecting the planet and helping animals. How about swapping those chicken nuggets with meat-free nuggets? Or choosing veggie and bean burritos instead of carnitas burritos?

Bon Appetit!

Eddie Garza