Opinion: Students deserve explanation for extended projects

O ne of the most reliable sources of griping from students at UNC is construction. The project for asbestos removal on the quad is only the latest source of complaints (and kvetches).

But many student concerns about construction could be satisfied if students were better informed before the fact about where, when and why construction would be taking place.

Generally, the fact that construction and renovations are common at the University is a good sign.

UNC’s Facilities Services department has usually done an excellent job at the difficult balancing act of keeping the University modern while preserving the unique and timeless beauty of its campus.

But alerting students to grounds projects could increase understanding and open up communication about construction.

It is even defensible that students have little voice in facilities planning. Most students only attend the University for a few years, and the planning and execution of construction necessarily require a longer-term view.

But informing students would not harm those processes.

Instead, it would only serve to assuage student concerns.

Students could be sent a brief email to their Heelmail accounts shortly before a project begins detailing where it is happening, an estimation of how long it should take and its purpose.

Sometimes, in addition to receiving warnings from Alert Carolina about “severe thurnderstorms” or forgotten towels, students would like to be informed about things that are more constructive.