UNC tops Gardner-Webb in first men’s soccer exhibition

UNC forward, Alan Winn (5), makes a play on the ball against Gardner-Webb defender Matt Bogart (3) and mid-fielder Patrick Gurser (14).  Winn would finish the match with a goal early in the second half.  UNC defeated Gardner-Webb 7-0 Friday night at Fetzer field in an exhibition game.
UNC forward, Alan Winn (5), makes a play on the ball against Gardner-Webb defender Matt Bogart (3) and mid-fielder Patrick Gurser (14). Winn would finish the match with a goal early in the second half. UNC defeated Gardner-Webb 7-0 Friday night at Fetzer field in an exhibition game.

The Tar Heels seemingly scored at will in a 7-0 rout of Gardner-Webb at Fetzer Field in the first exhibition of the season, scoring four goals in the first 10 minutes of play.

Senior forward Tyler Engel broke the figurative scoring dam with a rocket from outside the 18-yard box under four minutes into play. Sophomore Omar Holness struck next, scoring in the eighth minute, and within the next two minutes, senior forward Andy Craven netted two more goals.

Coach Carlos Somoano said the Tar Heels’ offensive showing on Friday night was not attributed to any special strategy.

“It’s just work every day,” he said. “There are no secrets. It’s just get out to the practice field and commit ourselves every day in practice and become the best team that we can. If we try to do something by ourselves, and we take days off, then we will increase our chances of failure. If we work together and try to commit to every day in training, then we have better chances of being successful.”

After Craven’s second goal, Somoano made multiple substitutions to avoid potential injuries and allow some of the team’s newcomers show their skills. One of those subs was freshman Alan Winn.

On a night when most freshmen had not even moved onto campus yet, Winn was already making a name for himself. Subbed into the game midway through the first half, the Texas native saw playing time that led to a goal in the 56th minute. After his first game as a Tar Heel, the star-struck Winn showed his excitement for what’s to come.

“There are no words that can honestly describe this feeling,” he said. “You see Fetzer Field, and it’s UNC. It’s a top school in the country, so you have to perform, and it’s a great feeling. Whatever Coach Carlos says, I’m going to perform at the highest level I can. If he needs me five minutes, I’ll play five minutes. If he needs me 10 minutes, whole game, doesn’t matter. If he gives me time, I’m going to work my butt off.”

Glen Long and Nyambi Jabang scored the other two goals for the Tar Heels in a game in which the offense took the spotlight. But the defense was putting on a show of its own. Gardner-Webb only mustered one shot — which never even reached the goal. Senior goalkeeper Brendan Moore started the game but was removed at halftime after going untested in the first half.

Craven said North Carolina needs to continue the offensive pressure in order to continue winning.

“Transition. That’s a big part of our game plan,” he said. “Transition and high press. A bunch of our goals came off of pressing the defense when we lost it, and we immediately went toward the goal. And that’s the whole point of the game ... to score goals.”

And score goals they did.