Opinion: Accord on Fire and Building Safety, Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety have clear differences

When it comes to UNC’s apparel partnerships, accountability is key.

VF Corporation, a supplier of UNC apparel, abides by the Alliance for Banglaldesh Worker Safety, an agreement that isn’t bound by legal code and was founded by companies like Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

The Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh is legally binding and requires independent factory inspection.

University students should pressure system leaders to sign the most ethical and permanent solution — in this case, the accord. Chapel Hill should also reconsider its partnership with VF Corp.

Efforts of the alliance follow the spirit of the VF Corp. response to a Medlar Apparel factory’s fire in June. Products from VF Corp. represent 30 percent of Medlar’s output.

An audit done at Medlar by Levi Strauss & Co. in 2013 labeled electrical and fire safety standards as “complete” in April before an electrical fire injured 11 workers in June.

In response to the bravery of the workers, VF Corp. demeaningly gave out 7,000 gift bags filled with sugar, cinammon and a mug to employees, according to Bangladeshi news.

Because VF Corp. is a member of the alliance, and the integrity of the alliance’s audits are in question, it seems likely the faulty audits will continue.

Recent meetings between Chancellor Carol Folt and VF Corp. CEO Eric Wiseman are unnerving. Corporate social responsibility demands an open acknowledgement of stakeholders outside the realm of profits. So far, UNC has ignored the humanitarian stakes for Bangladeshi workers.