Column: Building dynasty requires high expectations for success

Carlos Collazo is a junior from Sanford. He is an assistant sports editor.

I f you missed the men’s soccer game Friday night, but somehow managed to sneak down onto the field after and listen to Coach Carlos Somoano’s postgame comments, you’d have a hard time figuring out the result.

His general thoughts on the game: “I didn’t like the way we came out. I felt we were sluggish and the tempo of the game was not what our expectations are.”

His thoughts on how the team implemented its focus on defensive pressure:

“Totally disappointed,” he said. “Being one of the things we emphasized this week, I thought that’s where we came up a little bit short. We didn’t put that to practice.”

To anyone else, it was obvious the No. 3 North Carolina team thoroughly dominated an unranked Pitt team in its first ACC game of the season.

Eighteen shots to six. Ten corners to two. Three goals to none.

The Tar Heels created many opportunities and controlled possession for the majority of the game, while the Panthers could count their quality chances on one hand.

When comparing this team to 2013’s, it’s clear: Somoano has a really strong group to work with. He knows it.

That’s why he wasn’t happy with a game most would consider a blowout. He knows how talented this team is and where they could go. But for a team trying to hold its own against another — the storied women’s soccer program — that shares the same field, Friday’s result was subpar.

“Championship habits,” he said. “That’s what we’ve gotta work on. Whether we can win a championship or not, I don’t know.”

While Coach Anson Dorrance and the women’s team are likely going through a bit of a slump, there’s no reason to think that Somoano can’t begin building a dynasty of his own with another national championship.

It’s been three years since he won the trophy in his first season with the Tar Heels, and this 2014 team is loaded.

Fifth-year senior Andy Craven headlines a flurry of attacks and was just named the National Player of the Week by College Soccer News.

Senior captain Boyd Okwuonu anchors a defensive line and has started for the Tar Heels since joining the team as a freshman, hauling in defensive honors and awards each year.

Senior goalkeeper Brendan Moore led the ACC in shutouts, shutout percentage and save percentage last year while starting every game.

That’s not to say this team doesn’t have its weak spots. The wide defensive positions are still in flux, and less-experienced players will be called upon to fill them.

But it’s hard to discount a team that seemed so dominant in their first game of the season while being criticized so openly by the head coach.

And that, more than anything, tells you a lot about how good this team really is.