Carolina Club fundraises for co-worker Jacquelyn Segovia

The Carolina Club will host the dinner, called Pasta With Purpose, to raise money for Segovia, who would have been a senior this semester.

On Aug. 5, Segovia, 21, was in a serious car accident on U.S. 15-501 and was put into a medically induced coma.

Her friend, UNC senior Thaina Quiles, said Segovia is still unconscious but has recently been responding to commands.

Kevin Moore, service director at the Carolina Club, said the dinner will cost $12 per person, and $10 of each ticket will be donated to help with Segovia’s medical expenses.

The Carolina Club, where Segovia was an employee, will take additional donations to support the Segovia family. The event is open to everyone, Moore said.

“We would like to raise as much money for her as possible,” he said.

Segovia was recently moved from Duke University Hospital to the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in New Jersey.

Quiles said Segovia began responding to commands about a week ago.

She said Segovia’s doctors transferred her to the rehabilitation center once she was no longer in critical condition.

She said Segovia is receiving therapy every day.

“Right now, we’re just waiting for her to keep responding and to resurface back to consciousness,” Quiles said.

She said since Segovia suffered a traumatic brain injury, she expects her recovery will be a slow and gradual process.

“I don’t think she’s going to come back and be completely herself in just one moment,” she said.

Quiles said she and Segovia’s family appreciate the continued support they have received from everyone.

“It’s been great so far, the community that she has. You can just tell that she’s impacted so many lives,” she said. “It’s been very humbling to see that.”

Emily Lopez, who taught Segovia in honors pre-calculus at Josephine Dobbs Clement Early College High School, said she is a hard worker with an infectious personality.

“She was, in the classroom, someone who lit the room up when she came in,” Lopez said. “If there’s anybody who is going to be able to come out of this, it will be her.”

Lopez said she taught both Segovia and her twin sister, Marilyn.

“The whole family is very gracious and open and caring,” she said.

Lopez said she knows Segovia will use this situation in a positive way in the future.

“I can just see her taking this and using it to help other people,” Lopez said. “That’s just how she is.”