Carrboro Music Festival: faces behind the music

The Town of Carrboro held its 17th annual Carrboro Music Festival on Saturday and Sunday, bringing almost 180 local bands to venues around town.

The Vagabond Union

The Vagabond Union is an alternative Americana-rock group formed by Dave Hedeman and John Kenney while the two were in college. 

Hedeman and Kenney both write songs for the group and alternate as lead singers. Its debut album, “The Motel Sessions,” was released in 2011. 

Look Homeward

Look Homeward is a folk group featuring Lee Anderson on guitar and vocals, Alex Bingham on the upright bass and Wilson Greene IV on the banjo. 

Founded by Anderson, the group released its debut album, “The Hunger and the Ghost” in 2013. They draw musical inspiration from their home in North Carolina.

Doug Largent Trio

The Doug Largent Trio is familiar with the Carrboro music scene — the group performs frequently in the area, including at Carrboro’s Looking Glass Cafe.

The Chapel Hill jazz trio specializes in jazz and blues music from the 1950s and 1960s, while also drawing on Latin, funk and swing influences. 

Mebanesville

Musical ensemble Mebanesville is aptly named after Mebane, North Carolina, where a group of friends began playing together informally on Friday afternoons in a coffee shop during the summer of 2000.

The group’s Americana-style relies on the fiddle, piano, accordion, recorder, mandolin and other unique instruments.