Hughes, defense looking for a second chance

The UNC football team practices at Navy Field on August 14.

With his facemask not hiding most of his face like it typically does, the lone senior of the UNC linebacking corps spoke to the media — flashing his signature energetic smile.

But with the mere mention of 2013’s game against East Carolina, a 55-31 trouncing by the Pirates at Kenan Memorial Stadium, Hughes’ grin disappears, his brow furrows.

Hughes led the UNC defense against ECU with nine total tackles, two for a loss. But UNC’s overall performance — specifically the defense’s — wiped away his smile on that day, too.

“I can’t even try to take credit for anything as far as tackling, because we lost,” Hughes said. “And at the end of the day, stats don’t matter in that game after you see that scoreboard.”

Now, with a chance for revenge looming, the UNC defense needs energy, specifically from Hughes, to contain the high-octane ECU offense in Greenville Saturday.

Ron West, a co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, said Hughes’ ability to energize the defense is crucial for UNC, which has forced nine turnovers thus far.

“He’s a very competitive guy, very hard-nosed. He’s a physical player,” West said. “He brings what I call a great energy to our football team. A very positive energy, and a very hard-nosed energy.”

In 2013’s showdown, UNC lacked that energy, as the Pirates’ offense amassed 603 total yards — the second most ever allowed by the Tar Heels in Kenan — on 101 plays, the most plays an opposing team has ever run against UNC.

Linebacker Jeff Schoettmer said the Pirates’ pure domination in all phases was due to UNC coming out flat and unfocused.

Schoettmer said Hughes’ vivacity is vital to avoid the same blunders from plaguing the team on the road.

“Travis is one of those guys that just brings energy in everything he does, whether it’s in the weight room, on the field, anything,” he said. “You can watch him during game day and during pre-game warmups hitting his head, jumping around and getting everyone fired up.”

UNC faces the tough task of limiting ECU quarterback Shane Carden, who recorded 427 passing yards and three touchdowns last week against then No. 17 Virginia Tech.

While many doubt the UNC defense, which ranks 89th nationally against the pass, Hughes is confident.

The same smile returns.

“Playing ECU, that rivalry we have and being looked at as we are right now is a great position,” Hughes said. “I feel like as a senior, that’s my priority right now — to make sure everybody’s out here and ready to go.”