Jamie Loeb a step closer to US Open bid

Jamie Loeb
Jamie Loeb

The New York native earned a program record 53 wins in her first year while leading UNC to the NCAA Tournament finals against UCLA. She was also honored as both the ITA National College Player of the Year and ACC Player of the Year.

And now, even though the team season hasn’t yet begun, Loeb has added another accolade to her resume, winning the inaugural American Collegiate Invitational after beating Virginia’s Julia Elbaba in straight sets this weekend.

Loeb began the tournament against UCLA sophomore Jennifer Brady. After a straight-sets victory, the UNC sophomore faced off against Virginia’s Danielle Collins, who won the NCAA singles championship in May.

Here, Coach Brian Kalbas said, a developing part of Loeb’s game shined.

“That had to be the best I’ve ever seen (her) serve,” he said. “We had been working on it throughout last season, and now she’s gotten to a point where she can be consistent with it, match in and match out.”

Loeb tallied seven aces against Collins, overpowering her in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.

The finals started slower for the No. 1 player in the nation, as Loeb and Elbaba broke each others’ serves to tie the first set at five games apiece. Then Loeb’s serve took over again.

She started the 11th game with three aces, eventually taking the game and set, 7-5. Loeb then found her groove in the second set, dominating Elbaba en route to a 7-5, 6-1 win.

“For me to come out and play the way I did, it’s given me a ton of confidence,” she said.

Hayley Carter, a fellow UNC teammate and Loeb’s doubles partner, played in the tournament as well. She lost to Kristie Ahn, the ITA National Senior Player of the Year for the 2013-14 season, in the first round.

And while Carter’s tournament stay was cut short, she is excited about what she’s seen from herself and from Loeb.

“Of course I would have loved to play better, but this tournament was a great experience for me,” Carter said.

“Jamie’s been playing amazing, and we really clicked at the end of last year, so I’m really pumped for doubles season.”

But for Loeb, another piece of hardware may be the least important thing she earned.

With the tournament win, Loeb is guaranteed a wild card spot in the qualifying draw of the 2015 U.S. Open. But if her professional ranking is No. 150 or better next year, her wild card will take her to the main draw in Flushing Meadows.

“Now that I know that I have that spot and possibly a main draw, it’s going to take a lot of pressure off me this season,” Loeb said.

Last year Loeb had to worry about qualifying while putting up the best single-season performance in UNC history. Who knows where this season will take her now that she has one less thing on her plate?