Jared Cohen gets set for first career start

Landon Turner, courtesy of GoHeels. 

Landon Turner, courtesy of GoHeels. 

“Hit!” Kapilovic then blurted, commencing the crunching of pads in a 2-on-2 offensive linemen drill.

When the players released their blocks, Kapilovic approached the lineman he’d been watching like a hawk. He then delivered some constructive criticism in a loud tone while fluttering his hands inches from right guard Jared Cohen’s facemask.

Kapilovic might not be used to yelling in a right guard’s direction.

That’s because two-year starting right guard Landon Turner, a junior long past the heated words and hand gestures, typically stands in Cohen’s place.

But Turner will not play Saturday against East Carolina due to an injury to his left leg the lineman sustained in the team’s 31-27 win against San Diego State Sept. 6.

There’s still so much for Cohen to learn from Kapilovic, yet he’ll head to Greenville on Saturday to make his first collegiate start.

Cohen is just 18 years old — a true freshman.

“You know, if he doesn’t tell me when I’m doing something wrong, I’m not going to fix it,” Cohen said. “Obviously, it’s tough love. I don’t enjoy it when he yells at me, but it’s appreciated for sure.”

Cohen will replace Turner, who’s not only the veteran of the offensive line but one of the team’s most experienced players.

Turner’s 19 career starts lead all the offensive linemen and rank third on the team behind only defensive back Tim Scott and wide receiver Quinshad Davis.

To Cohen’s advantage, he’s already got some game reps under his belt. He played briefly in UNC’s season opener against Liberty when Turner went to the sideline with an injury for a play.

When Turner went down against San Diego State, Kapilovic didn’t hesitate to go with Cohen even though the freshman’s name didn’t make it on the depth chart as a backup before the game.

“Physically, he’s been as good as most of the guys,” Kapilovic said. “It was just a matter of trying to get him reps so he can catch up mentally.”

Part of that mental development for Cohen involves preparing to face defensive linemen much older than he is.

“Playing offensive line, you’ll be going against men every week in and week out,” Cohen said.

“I mean, I’m 18 years old and I’m going to be blocking guys who are 21, 22 years old.”

Starting redshirt sophomore right tackle Jon Heck can likely feel for Cohen the most. In 2013, Heck started all 13 games as a freshman.

“Just do what we’ve been practicing,” Heck said he’s told Cohen heading into his first start.

Cohen will have to block out the noise in Greenville, which will be quite louder than the sound of Kapilovic’s voice he’s heard in practice.

“I am nervous. I’m not going to lie to you,” Cohen said. “However, I’m confident.”