Letter: ?‘Gear in question,’ indeed

Having just read the front-page article on the military surplus in the possession of the local police departments, I have to say the article is more appropriately titled than intended. Let me first start by saying that as veteran of the Iraq war, I agree that the military mindset and attitude should not be welcome in a police department.

Just as a police officer has a duty to serve his community, a journalist has a duty to publish accurate information. I think we can both agree that the last thing a journalist wants to loose is his or her credibility. So, it is disappointing to look at the front page of The Daily Tar Heel and see a picture of an M4 assault rifle labeled incorrectly; furthermore, the picture labeled “flak jacket” isn’t actually a flak jacket at all.

While I understand that the general population doesn’t know or probably care about the difference, it’s the journalist’s duty to properly inform and educate its readers. The last thing I feel sure The Daily Tar Heel wants to do is follow in the footsteps of the recent and infamous Rolling Stones article on “The five most dangerous guns in America.” Now, that is an article with its gear and credibility in question.

Joshua Smith, ’16

Pyschology and chemistry

Praise for UNC’s innovative spirit