Q&A with punk rock 'n' roll band Raw McCartney

Raw McCartney is an eccentric band whose oddity extends well past their music. They are a self-labeled chill, psych and punk rock 'n' roll band from Indianapolis. They will be performing tonight alongside bands SOON and the mineral girls at Local 506. Staff writer Everett Handy interviewed Raw McCartney band members Jacob Gardner and Brian Bissart.

The Daily Tar Heel: How did the band get its start?

Jacob Gardner: The band started out as a joke punk band because I kept losing my job. When we started playing we focused on that kind of frustration — losing your job, losing your wallet, losing your mind.

DTH: Why is the band called Raw McCartney?

JG: Raw McCartney is a man-made legend who survived in the wild for most of his childhood after running away from his commune of birth in southeastern Indiana. He found his way to Indianapolis where he began playing as a street musician from talents he learned in the wild. He was discovered by an art professor who sent young Raw McCartney to Paris to finish high school and study poetry and painting. ... Enlightened, he left school and returned to be with his friends in Indiana and pursue a life of rock and roll in its nastiest, puss-spewing form.

DTH: Is any of that real?

JG: Well no, not really. It’s all part of the joke. We want it to sound like a shamanistic head rapt – that we’re natural artists – but it’s all fiction. It was also a way to keep my face out of the spotlight and add to the anonymity and mystique of the band.

DTH: How has your tour been going?

JG: It’s been really great. We’re driving on the road most days, but these are my best friends, so it’s just been a blast so far.

DTH: How long is the tour?

JG: We’ve been touring for eight days, and we’ll be touring for seven more.

DTH: Why should people want to come see Raw McCartney?

Brian Bissart: I just think that we’re all just super handsome. We throw super parties. ... We all like to have a good time, and we like to travel.

DTH: Any favorite memories from the tour?

BB: We always find ourselves in weird situations on the road. We were in Atlanta, Ga., changing our oil one time, and a couple of us walk to a gas station to grab some beers. We walked back and cracked open our beers when an old man came up to us and asked what we were doing. We say we’re just waiting to get our oil changed, and he said, "You’ll have to go somewhere else, this is AA."

DTH: How do you guys work together?

BB: Everyone in the group has their own individual music projects. Many of us are even in different bands, but we all come together to work and play together. We’re all just really good friends, and we really enjoy making the music and touring.