Quickhits for Sept. 18, 2014

Man the poop deck!

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

ECU Twitter mobilized against yesterday’s light-hearted cartoon as if it were a particularly nasty STD. “Kind of odd it wasn’t written in Swahili,” said one response.  “Keep poking the bear, Daily Tar Heel,” said another. The takeaway seems to be that ECU fans are avid DTH readers, but only when there’s a nice picture.

No ring (yet)

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

After posting a rather misleading picture on Instagram,  Marcus Paige had to explain: No, he hasn’t gotten engaged. This is good news for those still holding out hope, as well as those who fear he’ll go the way of James Michael McAdoo, whose “beard” was clearly that of a man secure in his romantic future. 

Bring out yer dead

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Is EVERYONE sick? We know college campuses are breeding grounds for disease, but we thought moving off campus would help. It didn’t. And the awful thing about this particular plague is that it’s not bad enough to prevent you from functioning — it just makes everything suck a little bit more.

A Minor success

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

From one semi-anonymous  source to another, QuickHits would like to commend The Minor for its outstanding recent work. “Quad guitarist announces fall quad tour” and “Search continues for missing Honors Carolina benefits”  in particular are gems; its take on the old UNC ad is sublime. Are we threatened? Maybe a little.

Robin Thicke is a big...

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

The wannabe soulman’s deposition in a lawsuit over plagiarism in “Blurred Lines” leaked this week. Thicke said he exaggerated his level of authorship of the song and denied any similarity to Marvin Gaye’s track, somehow making this sadder. We’re more desperate for him to disappear than he is to “get her back.” 

CCI Outrage

The reaction to yesterday’s CCI printer disaster divided the student body into two camps: it elicited real outrage from people who love school and mock outrage from people who had totally forgotten about that paper. Things seem back to normal, but we’re crossing our fingers professors haven’t  noticed.