Sorority Bid day held in McCorkle Place Wednesday

Sigma Sigma Sigma waits to welcome their new members at Bid Day in McCorkle Place.

With Bid Day on Wednesday, sorority recruitment concluded for the 10 chapters of UNC’s Panhellenic Council.

Meredith Babb, vice president for recruitment for the Council, said about 832 students participated in recruitment this year.

Sorority members said they value their experiences in Greek organizations because of the friendship it brings them.

Senior biology major Maria Masciello joined Alpha Chi Omega in her freshman year. She said she joined the sorority because she wanted to find a place to make friends, but she has also enjoyed the chance to meet people in other sororities.

“I enjoy having somewhere to come back to — like I went there every day for lunch — so I can go there every day to have something constant that I love,” Masciello said.

Members of the sororities also said they appreciate the variety of social and philanthropic activities offered by the Greek community.

Masciello said Alpha Chi Omega collaborates with domestic violence prevention groups and women’s shelter organizations to promote social justice. She said many students in her sorority also get involved in other social activities, such as UNC Dance Marathon.

Founded in 1885, Alpha Chi Omega has been on UNC’s campus for almost 40 years and currently has about 200 members.

Masciello said this year the chapter will add about 50 new members.

Freshman exercise and sport science major Sheridan Earnhardt said she decided to join a sorority because she wants to meet more people and make friends in the Greek community.

She said she joined Sigma Sigma Sigma this semester because she felt the members of the sorority were down-to-earth.

Earnhardt said the recruitment process lasts five days with four rounds, including open houses, a day for skits and financial information, a day for house tours and philanthropy, and a preference night.

Senior exercise and sport science major Jenny Ryan is a member of Kappa Delta. She said she joined the sorority because she has two sisters at home, and she likes hanging out with the women in her sorority.

She said Kappa Delta will have 59 new members this year.

As a transfer student, Ryan said the sorority helped her transition to UNC and make connections because Kappa Delta members are involved in many philanthropic activities on campus.

“When I came here, the girls here were so welcoming,” Ryan said.