Letter: Environmental issues need not be partisan

Renewable energy is a fast-growing industry that holds a great deal of promise for the future success of our state. The myth that clean energy is solely an issue for Democrats is just that — a myth. Conservatives see the benefit clean energy innovation brings to the state of North Carolina both environmentally and economically. Both parties are willing to embrace renewable energy initiatives for the positive impact such developments will leave on the state.

Over the course of the last several years, conservative support for clean energy development has multiplied. There are now many economic reasons for business-minded conservatives to financially support these advancements.

The clean energy industry continues to grow and is proven to save money for citizens across our state. At this very moment, the industry is supporting 18,000 jobs within North Carolina. With investments and demand only increasing, this sector will continue to flourish.

We must continue our commitment to clean energy, but we must not do so in a top-down, centrally planned fashion. We must spur the growth of renewable energy through the use of private investment and free market principles in order to have the maximum economic and environmental benefits for our state.

Francis C. Pray, III

Vice Chairman

UNC College Republicans