Letter: Lopez Carter is best option for N.C. senate

At this point, most students will feel as though they have been bombarded with election news. I, for one, cannot open a YouTube video without getting some ad first telling me about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or education. But what about the other races in North Carolina?

With all the headlines that the U.S. Senate race has been getting, some might not know that there is an incredibly exciting N.C. Senate candidate running in our own back yard.

Mary Lopez Carter, the only Latina running for N.C. Senate, is a refreshing voice of reason and pragmatism in an election cycle that has been dominated by sound bytes, attack ads and vitriol.

Mary finds herself in a similar ideological position to UNC students. She supports low taxes for everyone, especially poor and working North Carolinians, and she supports passing responsibly sized budgets. But she also opposed Amendment One, supports state funding of higher education and research and supports several reforms for how undocumented immigrants are treated at a state level, including allowing them to receive state-issued drivers’ licenses.

But what makes Mary so unique is that she can bring these ideas into the majority caucus if elected in November. Students and the University need a champion in the State Senate, and if elected, Mary Lopez Carter will be the most effective person to fill that role.

As early voting begins this Thursday, please make informed choices about all races, and please consider who will be most effective when representing students.

Peter McClelland

Senior

Executive Director

N.C. Federation of College Republicans