Letter: ?Take a broader view of world events

The cartoon posted on Oct. 2, depicting a conversation between two students about Britain’s approved air strikes against ISIS/ISIL, brought forward an issue prevalent at Carolina: the community’s obliviousness towards global issues. Though I was elated to see Hong Kong support groups appear on the DTH’s official website, I encountered a deficit of reports on other large-scale events.

While Asia, Africa and the Middle East currently receive coverage, Latin America rarely, if ever, makes the front page. The ongoing demonstrations in Venezuela for democracy, including local marches and protests, have yet to appear anywhere in the DTH. In fact, when questioned on the crisis in the aforementioned country, most students simply reference the now-deceased Chavez; many find themselves completely unaware of the ongoing battle for a legitimate government. The sheer lack of coverage on similar Latin American events contributes to students’ ignorance and indifference towards such occurrences. 

With voting season rapidly approaching, it is imperative that Carolina’s voters understand international politics in order to better understand local issues. Many of the same policies being voted on have directly contributed to global crises.

Through comprehending the cause-effect relationship, simply by observing international affairs, Carolina’s voters can completely avoid committing the same errors and make informed decisions, allowing for progress and much-needed change.

Sam Andersen

Freshman

Biology