Man pleads guilty of murder in Scroggs Elementary shooting

Cherfaoui, 51, was sentenced to a minimum of 31 years or a maximum of 43 years in prison.

On May 25, 2012, at 2:08 p.m., Chapel Hill police responded to reports of a shooting incident outside Mary Scroggs Elementary School, according to Chapel Hill police reports.

Kebaier, 40, was found injured outside the school. She was admitted to UNC Hospitals’ emergency room and pronounced dead at 4:08 p.m. the same day from multiple gunshot wounds.

“The basic gist of it was the suspect went to the school his children were, at a time he knew his estranged wife would be there and walked up and shot her,” said Lt. Joshua Mecimore, spokesman for Chapel Hill police.

Cherfaoui was arrested shortly after the shooting when officers stopped a suspicious vehicle.

He was charged with first-degree murder and later with possession of a gun on educational property, discharging a weapon on educational property and second-degree kidnapping.

The incident was part of a domestic dispute between Cherfaoui and Kebaier, according to police.

Cherfaoui has pleaded guilty to three of the four initial charges. He pleaded guilty to having a gun on educational property Sept. 2., to discharging a weapon on educational property Sept. 16 and to second-degree kidnapping Oct. 14.

As part of a plea bargain with the prosecution, Cherfaoui pleaded guilty to murder Monday in exchange for the charge being reduced from first-degree to second-degree murder.

Lt. Mecimore said that in a situation like this, the children would usually be placed in the care of family or of a foster family.

Assistant District Attorney Michelle Hamilton said that as she’s concerned, the case is closed.

“He has resolved all of his cases in Orange County,” she said.