Opinion: Stringent dress codes don’t address rape culture's roots

Cedar Ridge High School students should be commended for taking action against sexist dress code policies .

Theirs was part of a nationwide movement against dress code policies that unfairly target female students through strict regulations. Policies that focus on female students with regard to the way they dress send the message that they are responsible for their own sexualization and the harassment that comes with it.

Such policies have been arbitrarily enforced, with female students being sent home for wearing leggings, yoga pants, shorts and skirts with short hemlines. Male standards of dress are not subjected to the same stringent rules, which has created a double standard.

The dress codes are justified by implying that violations make classrooms “distracting” for boys. Male students are also framed as individuals without agency in their own behavior.

Cedar Ridge High School’s demonstration was unique because of the active involvement of male students. Female students wore shirts stating, “I am not an object,” while male students’ shirts stated, “I am not an animal.”

The inclusion of male students as protestors of the codes at Cedar Ridge should be applauded for its demonstration of a united commitment for a fair learning environment for all students.

Dress codes should be modified to be more specific and equitable in addressing these students’ legitimate concerns.