Roy Williams answers questions about Wainstein report

While attending the ACC men’s basketball media day on Wednesday, coach Roy Williams was peppered with Wainstein report questions.

Dozens of recorders sat in front of him to pick up every single word he’d say in response to the Kenneth Wainstein report because every single word mattered. These weren’t his first comments on false paper classes and academic irregularities at UNC, but reporters still sat deadlocked on his face, refusing to turn their heads for a single second.

Eventually, he cracked. A distressed Williams couldn’t seem to hold it in anymore.

“Looking back,” a faint voice asked, “do you think your instincts were ... did you see the fire?”

“I didn’t see the smoke. I was naive. It’s my University. It’s the University of North Carolina — I went to school there, and I worked to get my degree,” Williams pleaded. “I sent my children there. You think I’d send my children to a place where they do silly things? I didn’t know. I don’t think I was supposed to know.”

Williams, who told Wainstein he was unaware of the irregular classes, was the first to admit that he didn’t agree with every element of the report. Wainstein cited an instance in which Williams supposedly held a meeting to inform a group of academic tutors that it was their job to keep his players eligible.

“Didn’t happen,” said Williams emphatically. “Did not happen.”

But the 1972 graduate who returned to coach for his alma mater in 2003 was also emphatic in acknowledging reality.

Ethics were thrown out the window. Staff members he worked so closely with embarrassed the University he loves so dearly.

“We had some things that I am not proud of,” he said. “We had some things that I’m hurt by.”

The distress was evident behind his tired eyes Wednesday. Here he was at the ACC’s annual basketball media day, supposed to be talking about basketball.

Yet here he was, defending everything he’s ever stood for as a coach, including the academic success of his players.

“You can say I’m too short, too ugly, too much gray hair, bad golf swing. But there’s not one freaking person in the world that can say I’ve never emphasized the academic side,” he said. “And if they say that, then they’re lying or whatever they want to do. So that’s what it is.”

Williams blurted out a harsh “no” when asked if the scandal would force him to consider retiring. He made it very clear that he wants to be part of the solution, not the problem. Plus, he promised Dean Smith a long time ago that he wouldn’t stop coaching before age 66, the year Smith himself left the hardwood.

And though his players can see how sad their head coach is, Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige know that the man who recruited them will keep his word.

“Wish it didn’t happen. Wish people wouldn’t bash Coach Williams, because I know he’s a great guy. I know what he stands for,” junior forward Johnson said. “He’s always on us about our academics and things like that.”

It took a little longer for someone to ask Paige — named the ACC Preseason Player of the Year — for his thoughts.

But when the topic finally arose, he wouldn’t allow the blows at his coach to continue.

“This is my third year in the program. He recruited me for two years, and he’s one of the most upstanding, honest individuals I’ve ever been around,” Paige said. “I’m not going to read what other people say. I know how great of a person he is.”