Williams does it all, but Tar Heels still come up short

The North Carolina football team lost its fourth game in a row Saturday with a 50-43 defeat to Notre Dame.

Photos from UNC football's game against Old Dominion on November 23 at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill.

He gave everything he had in him, and then a little more — because that’s what Marquise Williams does.

He’s that guy. The guy that can take a young, struggling North Carolina football team desperate for a break into No. 6 Notre Dame Saturday and play the game of his life. The guy that can amass more yards in both rushing and passing than Heisman candidate Irish quarterback Everett Golson. The guy that poured his entire heart into giving UNC every chance possible in the Tar Heels’ 50-43 defeat Saturday in South Bend, Ind.

But on Saturday, in Williams’ mind, he was the guy to blame.

Midway through the fourth quarter, with UNC down just seven points and clinging to the hope of pulling off the upset against one of the nation’s top teams, for the first time all night, Williams experienced a lapse in judgement. There was nothing else to it. Hoping to find the hands of one of his receivers, Williams made a poor pass, which easily found the way into the gloves of Notre Dame cornerback Cole Luke at the Irish 19 yard line.

Notre Dame would go on to score in the next drive, ultimately crushing UNC’s chances of leaving South Bend, Ind., with a victory and a 50-36 lead at that moment.

“I’m playing it over now, man. I wish I just ditched it out of bounds at the time. As a quarterback, you’ve got to know those things,” Williams said. “I’ll take the blame for that. I’ll punish myself for that.”

But that’s not necessary.

Williams, who became the first UNC quarterback to throw for more than 300 yards and rush for 100, played the best he’s played all season. Coach Larry Fedora elected to keep him in the entire game instead of beginning to alternate his time with backup Mitch Trubisky starting in the third series.

The redshirt junior was 24-for-41 with 303 passing yards and two passing touchdowns. He also once again spearheaded the Tar Heels’ rushing game, with 132 yards and one rushing touchdown.

“I tell you what, that guy played his heart out,” Fedora said. “He gave us a chance. He gave his team a chance to win a football game tonight.”

But even behind Williams’ unparalleled efforts, UNC still came up short after giving up too many big plays to the Irish.

The Tar Heels jumped to a quick 14-0 lead within the first seven minutes of the game with a six-yard touchdown run by freshman running back Elijah Hood and a pick six from redshirt junior linebacker Jeff Schoettmer.

“I kind of saw their quarterback looking at the tight end, which was the route I jumped and I knew I just had that — felt something,” Schoettmer said. “I felt his break and so I broke underneath it because I knew I had over the top help.”

But once the Irish found a rhythm, the lopsided score was quickly equalized, and then shifted toward Notre Dame’s favor.

After going down 14-0 the Irish went on a run that saw them amass 223 yards to UNC’s 15, and 21 unanswered points. By halftime, the Irish had taken a 28-26 lead, and in the third quarter, the momentum shifted in their favor in a huge way when senior bandit Norkeithus Otis was called for roughing the snapper. The penalty returned possession to Notre Dame and gave the Irish an automatic first down along with a 15-yard penalty against UNC. The drive finished in the fourth quarter and led to a touchdown, giving the Irish a 43-36 lead.

“You know, he just said that, ‘I don’t think I hit him too early,’’’ Fedora said of Otis’ explanation. “His head was up and he knows he hit the center. That was part of his job there ... but (it) didn’t get called that way.’’

After that touchdown, Williams’ untimely pick all but sealed the Tar Heels’ fate as Notre Dame took a 50-36 lead. UNC scored again in the final two-and-a-half minutes of play to make it 50-43 when Williams connected with sophomore wide receiver Mack Hollins, but the game had already been decided.

For the 700-mile trip home to Chapel Hill, Williams will likely continue to replay that pick over and over again in his mind. He's already apologized to his teammates and fans via his Twitter account. 

But on Saturday, the quarterback’s play went far beyond one mental miscue. He kept UNC afloat, inspiring the Tar Heels to play a type of football they’ve been missing in this four-game losing streak. He gave them the spark they've been looking for all season. 

“Mr. Marquise,” Hollins said, “He’s something else. He’s a running back, quarterback, everything. It’s great to have him.”