The College Board announced that SAT scores for Chinese and South Korean students would be delayed due to the investigation into expansive cheating.

Deadline for early action admission at UNC was Oct. 15, and all supplemental materials, such as test scores, were due by Nov. 1.

“This came to our attention last week,” said AshleyMemory, assistant director of admissions. “We have heard from a handful of students from China and South Korea — not a lot — just about a dozen who have emailed or called on the phone.”

All other students who took the Oct. 11 SAT received their scores on Oct. 28.

Memory said UNC normally allows students to take the SAT through November for the early action deadline.

“We wouldn’t be withdrawing any applications for any incomplete test scores for some time anyways,” Memory said.

She said the admissions department is remaining flexible with these students.

“We have let students affected by these delays know that this will not be held against them at all and we will work with them to get those test scores in as soon as possible,” she said.

Chinese international student Zack Peng said his home country puts a lot of pressure on its students, which could have motivated some students to cheat.

“In terms of K-12 education, yes, it’s a very test-oriented education,” Peng said. “When they’re applying to academic programs, like college, interviewing is very rare in college applications, and it will mostly be based on the testing scores.”

Although he agreed China has a pressured-filled education system, Peng does not believe that pressure is a good excuse for cheating.

“Because of the stress, students tend to feel pressure to do well on the test, but also the SAT courses in China are prevalent and good quality,”

Peng said. “A lot of people opt to take the courses and actually improve their English and general reading and writing skills so they wouldn’t have to cheat.”

Freshman Christopher Burriss moved to China during high school.

“Test scores are basically everything, especially if you are trying to study in the

United States,” Burriss said. Cheating is so common in high school administration that Chinese students cannot take the SAT in mainland China, Burriss said.

“At my high school, the person who sends out grades brought all the seniors into his office and asked them what grades they wanted to get into universities,” he said.

Because of the prevalence of cheating in high schools, Chinese universities only look at standardized test grades when considering applicants, Burriss said.

Though UNC has agreed to work with students, Burriss said he has noticed panic

from his friends.

“On my Chinese social app, everyone has been freaking out about (the delay) because they have to apply to colleges.”